Blog description (i.e. meta description) plays an important role in branding and attracting traffic.
That's why I've shared some powerful tips to write blog description with example and templates.
You don't need to use any meta description generator tool to write description of blog.
Many bloggers do on-page SEO, off-page SEO and everything but only a few of them focus on improving their meta description.
So, if you think that the description of your blog is not important then you are doing a big mistake.
When anyone searches your website name on Google then the first thing they see is the description of your blog.
From here, they notice the following things:
WARNING: Many bloggers are doing the mistake that they avoid blog description, copy opther blogger content any many more.
Check these 15 most common blogging mistakes that almost every amateur blogger makes.
So, check this to ensure that you are not doing these mistakes. Some of these mistakes can ruin your blogging career.
if your blog post description is not attractive then you will get the same amount of impression in SERP (Search Engine Result Page) but you’ll get fewer clicks.
That’s why it’s important to write a killer meta description for your site.
Table of Content
What is Blog Description?
Blog description or blog post description is the set of words which appears just below your website URL in SERP (Search Engine Result Page)
For Example: As you can see in the screenshot that If I search my site name “Blogging Lift” on Google then a description of the site is showing just below my website URL. This is my meta description.
What’s the importance of meta Description?
You may probably be thinking that why should I care about it. Right?
If you are thinking like this then you are doing a big mistake.
Because description of your blog is very important because of these two reasons:
- For Branding: When people search your blog on Google then the first thing they noticed is your blog's description. If it’s not attractive and powerful then it many hurt your branding.
- For Attracting Traffic: If your blog's description is not powerful then it may affect your traffic. Because 80% of people read the description of the blog before clicking on any link.
So, I hope now you understood the importance of writing a killer meta description.
There are mainly two types of description:
- Blog Description
- Blog Post Description
1. Blog Description: As I explained earlier that blog description is the piece of words and sentences which show just below your website link on Google, Bing and other search engines.
2. Blog Post Description: It’s the description of your blog posts which appear in SERP just below your blog post URL. Blog post description will be different for the different blog posts.
How to Write a Perfect Blog Description?
If you are using WordPress then it’s very easy to add description.
As I told you earlier that description of your blog tells your reader about your niche and the content they are going to get in your blog.
At the same time, It helps you in the branding and attracting some traffic to your blog.
If you are using WordPress then you may be using either Yoast SEO plugin or RankMath plugin.
1. In Yoast SEO Plugin:
If you are using Yoast SEO Plugin then open your WordPress dashboard then follow these simple steps:
- Go to “Yoast SEO” setting
- Now click on the “Title and meta” option.
- After that click on the “Homepage” option.
- Now, in the “meta description” field, you can enter the description of your blog.
You can also add the title of your website and related keywords.
Now, let’s see how to write a meta description in the RankMath SEO plugin.
2. In RankMath SEO Plugin:
This process is similar in the case of RankMath SEO plugin. Follow these steps to write a meta description using RankMath Plugin:
- open your WordPress dashboard
- Go to “Rank Math” setting
- Then click on the “Title and Meta” option.
- Now click on the “Homepage” option.
- Here you’ll see the “Homepage Meta Description” section. you can add your meta description i.e. description of your blog in it.
And in the “homepage meta title” section, you can add the title of your Homepage.
So, I hope that now you understood how to write meta description using RankMath and Yoast SEO plugin.
6 Best Powerful Blog Description Examples
You don't need any blog description generator to generate meta description. You can write it yourself.
I've added meta description of following:
- Meta Description example of Travel Blog
- Description of SEO blog (Best example)
- Meta Description example of Health Blog
- Description of Blog on blogging (My favorite example)
- Meta description example of technology blog
Check these meta descriptions templates to get ideas about writing killing description for your blog:
Example 1: Backlinko
What’s Good? They describe the benefits of reading their blog and add powerful words like “Next level SEO training and link building strategies” which grabs the attention of the user to click on their blog.
Example 2: Lonely Planet
What’s Good? They started their description with a perfect question “Love Travelling?” which encourage the user to read more about this blog.
Example 3: Nerd Fitness
What’s Good? They showcase everything about their blog in a simple way. Just by reading the description people can understand that this blog can help them to lose their weight.
Example 4: Tech Radar
What’s Good? They start their description with an attention-grabbing line “The latest technology news & review”. It also informs readers that they will receive fresh and updated content which encourage them to visit this site.
Example 5: ShoutMeLoud
What’s Good? They show how authority their blog is by writing “ShoutMeLoud is an award-winning blog” which immediately help them to build trust. Also, they have used all the keywords in their description in a natural way which makes it a perfect meta description.
How to Write Blog Post Description?
Blog post description is the description of your blog post which shows just below your link in search engine.
Even if you are using either RankMath or Yoast SEO plugin.
You’ll see a RankMath SEO (or Yoast SEO) section just below the WordPress editor as shown in the image below.
Here you can add your blog post description which is also known as meta description.
But before writing your meta description (i.e. blog post description), you should know this fact that the maximum length of this blog post description is 160 characters.
So, don’t use more than 160 characters in the blog post description.
Few more tips to write killing blog post description:
NOTE: If you want to improve your ranking and get more traffic then click here to read this 6000+ words guide.
How to Add Blog Description on Blogger?
If you are using Blogger (i.e. Blogspot) platform and struggling to add meta description then follow the steps given below.
- Open your Blogspot dashboard
- Then in the left sidebar, you’ll see an option “Setting”. Click on it.
- Under the setting, there is an option “Search Preference”. Click on this option
- Now a page will page where you can add the description of your blog.
Note: just above the description, you’ll get an option “enable search description”. So, turned it ON. It’ll help you to show the description in the search engine.
NOTE: If you are using Blogger (Blogpsot) plateform then I'll recommend you to move to WordPress asap.
Read this step by step guide to switch form blogger to WordPress without Losing Organic Traffic.
So, read it and take action today.
How to Add Blog Post Description on the Blogspot platform?
It’s very easy to add the blog post description on the blogger platform.
What you have to do is just open your blogger blog post editor.
Here in the right sidebar, you’ll see a “Search Description” section. You can add your blog post description here.
5 Tips to Write Powerful Blog Post Description
Here are some tips which can help you to write a killer blog post description which can help you in ranking:
Tips to Use Keywords in your blog post description
Watch his complete video tutorial which can help you to writ SEO friendly blog post description (i.e. meta description)
You should not repeat the same keywords multiple times in your blog description. Google doesn’t like this because it’s keyword stuffing.
Keyword stuffing means repeating the same keywords again and again.
So, what’s the best way to use keywords in the description of your blog?
The answer is simple. Find some related keywords and LSI keyword related of your main keyword and use these keywords in your meta description in a natural way.
It can help you to get more clicks and ultimately, it help you to improve your ranking.
So, must follow these tips to optimize keywords in description:
- Use LSI Keywords
- Avoid Keyword stuffing i.e. don't repeat the same keyword again and again in the description.
- Add Related Keywords.
NOTE: You can use tools like LSIGraph to find LSI Keywords.
"Want to know which blogging & SEO tools I’m using to run this blog successfully. Then must check this page.
Many of these tools are FREE."
Meta Description Case Study by Moz
Did you know that According the a study by Moz, Google don't always display the exact blog description in SERP (Search Engine Result Page).
They Analyze more than 70,059 blog description examples in this study and they got this result:
- In 15.4% of cases, Google used the original blog description i.e. meta description tag, but added some text
- In 51.3% of cases, Google used perfectly matched blog description or fully contained it.
- In 3.2% of cases, Google display truncated version of the meta description tag with an ellipsis on the end.
So, Google may display exact blog description or truncated version of it depending on what user has searched on Google.
I hope you understood this point.
FAQ Related to Blog Description
1. What is blog description?
It’s the set of words which appears just below the URL of your website in SERP.
2. What is blog post description?
The blog post description is a short description of your article which appears just below your URL in SERP. It’s different for different blog posts.
3. What is the maximum length of the meta description?
The maximum length of the meta description is 160 character. If you use more than 160 characters then some part will of description will disappear in SERP.
4. Should I use keywords in meta description?
Yes, you should use your target keyword and some LSI keywords in the meta description.
Final Words about Blog Description
I hope that now you understood what blog description is and how to write a meta description in blogger and WordPress platform.
In this article, I’ve also shared some tips to write a powerful blog post description with real example and templates.
It's means that you don't need any blog description generator for writing good description.
Did you found this article helpful?
Please let me know via comment below.
One Request: Please share this article on social media to help more and more bloggers.
Thanks in advance.